The recipe, using mainly cornstarch and water, was simple, straightforward and came together quite quickly. My one complaint was the lumpy texture, which I believe was an error on my part. The paint is supposed to be squishy, but spreadable.
I think the key is to stir, stir, stir and use the paint right away, while still quite warm. I couldn’t quite get all the lumps out in the pan and the mixture cooled too much while I was swirling in different colors. By the time I got to the blue, the last color, the mixture had cooled off and was really lumpy and gloppy. But Turkey didn’t mind!
Before I made the paint I rolled off a big sheet from our paper roll and used painter’s tape to secure it to his desk. I stashed a wet washcloth near his workstation and then fished a yogurt lid from the recycling bin to plop the paint on. Turkey had fun twirling in one of Daddy’s old shirts (used as an art smock until I sew one!) while I whipped up the batch. This made it really easy to transition from making to playing. And play he did.